No matter what your skill set, we have a volunteer opportunity for you. Are you well organized? Good with kids? Want to spread holiday cheer? Ready to serve meals? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, come see us. And there are other ways to help, too. Read below about the Mission's primary volunteer opportunities.
Have a talent or interest not described here? Contact us to find out how you can help. You can also call the volunteer office at 414.935.0241.
“Volunteer Saturdays” get your group in the “giving back” groove!
"Volunteer Saturday" is always and only the second Saturday of every month, from 9am-11am. We work on whatever the need is at the time – cleaning classrooms, sorting clothes, working in the courtyard, wrapping presents, etc. Our limit is 100 volunteers. Whatever "Volunteer Saturday" you wish to attend, you must confirm with the Volunteer Coordinator, at 414-935-0241 or firstname.lastname@example.org by the first of that month.
For example, if you would like to serve at the November 13th "Volunteer Saturday", call or e-mail the volunteer office by November 1st. We will then e-mail you a confirmation letter, which you must present as your reservation upon arrival to serve.
Cross Trainers Academy
Volunteers are needed on a regular basis during the school semester or school year to serve as classroom assistants. Classroom assistants assist the classroom teachers with clerical and instructional duties as well as daily class operations and recess.
If you are interested in volunteering with Cross Trainers Academy, please read our guidelines here and then apply online.
Joy House is our family shelter, offering a range of short-and-long term solutions, including residency, training programs, child care, and educational programs. Our goal is to help families become self-sufficient and stable.
We appreciate your help in the following areas:
- Sorting clothing in the clothing room
- Nursery staffing for infants during the daytime, Monday through Friday
- Nursery staffing for Joy House children on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 7-8:15
- Help school-age children in our community with homework after school in Joy House’s Equip tutoring program
- Assist homeless children with homework on Tuesday and Thursday evenings between 5-7pm
- Assist staff with Joy House children’s programs on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 7-8:15pm
- Help coordinate special events for our Joy House families on Friday nights from 7-8:15 pm
Safe Harbor, the men's ministry of the Milwaukee Rescue Mission, is divided into three distinct programs, each one designed to meet the needs of men who are struggling with homelessness and drug addition. Our programming is Bible based, and we approach all our guests with the realization that only Christ can truly make lasting changes in their lives. (Read more about programs within Safe Harbor here.)
Volunteer needs include:
- Clothing room assistant
- Desk Attendant
If you are interested in volunteering with Safe Harbor, please read our guidelines here and then apply online.
If you’re looking for other ways to be a blessing to the guests of the Milwaukee Rescue Mission, we can also use help in the following areas:
- Serving Meals
- General maintenance including yard work, cleaning, etc.
- Wrap gifts, decorate and otherwise help as needed to make the holidays special for our guests.
If you have a particular interest or skill that we haven’t mentioned and that you think might benefit those staying at the Milwaukee Rescue Mission, please let us know here.